Non-Human Rhythms 1 is the first of a series of live recordings featuring different micro-organism and there bio-electrical activity translated in to a sound process. In this release listen to 30 minutes of signal originated in bacterial fuel cells.
System connections and distribution:
The setup for this recording is based on readings coming from two microbial fuel cells containing different bacterial consortiums see this post to find out more : http://www.interspecifics.cc/-/2015/05/microbial-fuel-cells/ The flow chart shows the connections and the way the bioelectrical signal is distributed to the system:
- The process stars with an oscilatory signal in between 70 mV – 900 mV coming from the microbial fuel cells
- This signal is amplified by a factor of *3500 mV.
- The signal is filtered by analog methods using frequency and modulation thresholds.
- The signal sets the time for the main clock divider in our modular system
- The filtered or direct values are sent to a module running with the arduino software and to the MIDI/CV
- The values are analyzed (min, max, average) in the Energy Bending Software and transmitted as OSC
- The OSC signals are sent to the EBLive software in PD
- In PD every signal is process with pitch shifters or left as a raw signal
- Pd sends-receives midi messages to the instruments